Flood Relief

Please take the time to review the federal and state assistance and resources currently available to our state.

For those recently impacted by July 2019 flooding events in Kearney, Lexington, Wood River and other Central Nebraska communities, work with your county officials to document all damages. Please also see the shelters below: 

The University of Nebraska – Kearney has opened their Centennial Towers West residence hall to accommodate community members displaced by the flooding. Those impacted can stay at the Towers at no cost. Please check in at the residence hall at 1014 W. 29th Street or call 308-865-8519. 

The American Red Cross has opened a shelters at Lexington Senior High School, located at 1400 Minuteman Drive, and in Wood River at Wood River High School located at 13800 West Wood River Road. The Red Cross encourages those evacuating to a shelter to bring essential items such as identification, extra clothing, supplies for infants, etc. More information can be found at The American Red Cross’ website here.

For resources regarding outstanding damages from the March 2019 flooding please review the below information:

Small Business Administration: The Small Business Administration is accepting applications for economic injury disaster loans to help meet working capital needs caused by flooding. This loan is available to small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small businesses engaged in aquaculture and most private nonprofit organizations. All applications are due by December 23, 2019. More information is available at  https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/disaster-assistance.

Free Safety and Health Consultations for flood-impacted businesses by the Nebraska Department of Labor (NDOL): Trained NDOL consultants are available to assist with mold remediation plans, provide safety and health assessments, and identify electrical hazards. You can contact them at (402) 471-4717.

Assistance for Landowners, Farmers, Ranchers and Producers: The USDA has made higher limits available for borrowers interested in USDA’s farm loans. For more information, you can visit the USDA Farm Service Agency’s website at https://www.farmers.gov/

General Flood Resources: Please review the Nebraska Disaster Resource Guide here. The University of Nebraska Extension Service also has flood related information. For more information, you can visit their website at https://flood.unl.edu/.

For additional questions or individual concerns, please contact Senator Sasse’s office at (402) 476-1400.